What: “Hear My Eyes: Drive” live soundtrack event
When: 4 August, 2018
Where: Regent Theatre, Melbourne, Australia
There’s a little something special coming for all you Melbournians who don’t mind indulging in a bit of cinematic greatness and appreciation for local musicians.
Way back when in 2011, Ryan heart-throb Gosling starred in Nicolas Winding Refn’s oh-so-stylish crime thriller, Drive. The flick scored huge success, proving to be one of the top movies of the year (and decade), and saw itself closing the Melbourne International Film Festival.
After a sold-out event the year prior, MIFF is bringing back its audio-visual Hear My Eyes event to the Regent Theatre this August, this time with a screening of Drive. Paired with the film’s kaleidoscope of neon visuals and story, local musicians will reinterpret its critically-acclaimed soundtrack, performing it live at the screening.
For this exclusive and one-off event, select musicians from Melbourne’s most unique bands will offer their own renditions of the films pulsating yet romanticised tracks.
Here’s the roster set to perform:
- Nkechi Anele (Saskwatch) – vocals
- Cayn Borthwick (No Zu) – saxophone / guitar
- Adam Halliwell (Mildlife) – guitar / vocals
- Casey Hartnett (Sleep Decade) – synthesizer / electronic instruments
- Corin Ileto (CORIN) – synthesizer / electronic instruments
- Kevin McDowell (Mildlife) – synthesizer / vocals
- Maria Moles (Jaala) – drums / electronic drums / percussion
- Becky Sui Zhen (Sui Zhen) – synthesizer / vocals / electronic instruments
You can purchase your tickets from MIFF’s site, here.
Until then, make sure to check out our list of curated tracks to get you through till the weekend.
Start your engines! Following last year’s sold out event, @hearmyeyes returns to #MIFF2018 with a live soundtrack event scored to Nicolas Winding Refn’s cult classic DRIVE. Starring Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan, Refn’s break-out 2011 hit is a propulsive and stylish thriller that won him both a Best Director award and a 15-min standing ovation at @festivaldecannes. See link in bio.
Cover Image | Drive (film)